US open to resuming nuclear talk with North Korea, but Pyongyang shows no interest

President of the United States Donald Trump in a meeting in New york

On Wednesday, the US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, who was on his official visit to South Korea, said that his country was keen on resuming nuclear talks with North Korea if Pyongyang was ready for it, but the latter showed no intention of returning to denuclearisation negotiations any time soon.

Biegun, who also carried out working-level negotiations with the North Korea, told media reporters, after holding meeting with South Korean leaders, “Let me absolutely be clear, we did not request a visit,” On this visit, Biegun met South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha before holding formal talks with Vice Foreign Minister Cho Sei-young and chief nuclear negotiator Lee Do-hoon. He added, “This visit this week is to meet with our close friends and allies, the South Koreans.”

But Biegun’s statement did leave door open for resumption of denuclearisation talks with North Korea. He said, “We look forward to continuing our work for a peaceful outcome of the Korean peninsula, I believe this is very much possible.”

On Tuesday, US president Donal Trump made a similar comment in an interview with Gray Television’s Greta Van Susteren, as reported by Voice of America. Trump said “I understand they want to meet and we would certainly do that,” and added, “I would do it if I thought it was going to be helpful.”

On being asked if Trump thought such a meeting was helpful, US President told Van Susteren, “Probably. I have a very good relationship with him, [so it] probably would be.”

Despite US optimism over Washington-Pyongyang nuclear talks, latter had been very clear and uninterested in holding such meeting. On Tuesday, Kwon Jong Gun, a North Korean foreign ministry official, in an article carried by state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said, “Explicitly speaking once again, we have no intention to sit face to face with the U.S.”

On Saturday, a senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui said “we do not feel any need to sit face to face with the U.S., as it does not consider the DPRK-U.S. dialogue as nothing more than a tool for grappling its political crisis.”

North Korea accused the Trump administration of pressing political supremacy over the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) rather than improving relations, along with cornering and threatening the country with increased sanctions and preemptive nuclear strikes.

Last month, marking the two-year anniversary of the first summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US president Donald Trump, former questioned the need of maintaining ties with later.Kim said that there was no need to keep “holding hands” with the US. 

Besides, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Son-gwon said, “Never again will we provide the U.S. chief executive with another package to be used for achievements without receiving any returns. Nothing is more hypocritical than an empty promise.” The foreign minister added that his country would instead “build up more reliable force to cope with the long-term military threats from the US”. According to some political analyst, North Korea would not consider the option of holding round table talks with US, especially when there was a strong chance of change in leadership. The nation would rather prefer to wait and watch how coins turn after November 2020, the US presidential elections. Many believed that Pyongyang would use this time to create immense pressure on South Korea in order to gain upper hand in negotiations whenever it resumes

Share:

author

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments