Iran says it sends ‘constructive’ response on the nuclear deal; the US disagrees
Iran–Iran’s Foreign Ministry said that Tehran sent a “constructive” response to the United States’ proposals aimed at reviving the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. However, the US has dismissed the latest move from Tehran as ‘not constructive’.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said, “The text that was sent by Iran has a constructive approach aimed at finalising the negotiations.” Subsequently, the US spokesperson said, “We have received Iran’s response through the European Union. We will respond through the EU, but unfortunately, it is not constructive.”
Reportedly, White House National Security Council spokesperson, Adrienne Watson, said, “Some gaps have closed in recent weeks but others remain.”
According to the state broadcaster IRIB, Iran’s response was sent to EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell. He passed on to Washington. However, it’s not clear what was in the Iranian text.
The officials on both sides had been cautiously optimistic about the possibility of the revival of the Iran nuclear deal. The French president, Emmanuel Macron, had also struck an optimistic note about the accord.
After 16 months of indirect talks between Iran and the US, the EU chief said on August 8 that the EU had laid down a final offer for the revival of the agreement.
Recently, the President of Iran, Sayyid Ebrahim Raisolsadati, said that reviving the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers would be ‘meaningless’ unless the United Nations nuclear watchdog, International Atomic Energy Agency, put an end to its investigation of undeclared sites in Iran.
The foreign minister of Iran reportedly said that Tehran needs stronger guarantees from Washington for the revival of a 2015 nuclear deal. Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said that the lifting of US sanctions would have a practical impact.
Under the 2015 nuclear deal, Tehran had curbed its nuclear program in return for relief from the US, EU and United Nations sanctions.