Why Civilians Deaths Are On the Increase In Yemen?
Yemen–Houthi militia is said to have attacked civilian houses in Taiz again resulting in a human rights catastrophe. This is now being investigated by The National Committee for Investigating Alleged Violations of Human Rights (NCIAVHR).
According to formal reports, at least four civilians, including a child and a woman, were injured and properties were damaged in the recent attack. Residential areas have been under attack since the beginning of this week. According to state news agency SABA, investigators went on field visits in Taiz’s Sallah and Maqbana districts, where residential zones were seen being destroyed.
In a recent crackdown on the Houthis, the Coalition has communicated through tweets that it had brought down the communications system that was located at the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology in the Yemeni capital. This was being used by the Houthis militants. In a formal statement, the coalition said, that “The Houthis are militarily using Yemeni state institutions and ministries to launch hostile operations,” adding that the site had been linked to the February 10 drone attack on Saudi Arabia’s Abha International Airport.
Prior to launching a strike to take down the Houthi communication system, the Coalition took pains to call on civilians in the site to evacuate. It seems that in response to the crackdown, the Houthi militia attacked the civilian population. While visiting other premises, the human rights organization went to al-Abdalah IDPs Camp as well where they found that Houthi militia had created problems there as well.
A Norwegian humanitarian NGO has recently released a report stating that civilian deaths and injuries in Yemen’s civil war have spiraled since independent monitoring was cut by the UN in October last year. “Figures we release show civilian casualties have doubled in Yemen since UN human rights monitoring ended last October,” the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said in a statement recently.